Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: August 28, 2014, 02:04:37 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: [DC] Burning Dreamcast images using Alcohol 120%  (Read 4898 times)

MeeMeesiko

[DC] Burning Dreamcast images using Alcohol 120%
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »
There isn't a guide on here on how to do this, but it really is quite simple, especially considering that the Dreamcast doesn't even need to be modified in order for it to read burned images. Thank you, Sega.  :D
------------------------------------
These are the things you'll need:

1. Alcohol 120%. Get that here: http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

2. The .cdi, .ccd, or .iso file (the game image) of the game you wish to burn.

3. Any standard CD Burner.

4. 52X/80 Min/700Mb writable CDs. I recommend Verbatim or Imation discs. They're very cheap, very efficient, and very durable.
------------------------------------
This is a very easy process. Firstly, open Alcohol 120.

Next, click on the "Image Burning Wizard" button, as shown here:

Now you'll come on a screen that looks like this. Click on "browse" and find the image that you want to burn.

.CCD FILES: To burn a .ccd file, you must have the .img file AND the .sub file in the same folder as the .ccd file. Simply burn the.ccd file. DO NOT burn the .img file or the .sub file. The burn will not work.

When you've found the image, click the "Next" button. The next page will look like this: (Under "Write Speed," you will want to change your speed to the minimum speed. This will make the burn more reliable, with less chance of getting a bad disc.)

You do not need to change any settings other than your writing speed. Press the start button and your burn will begin.;)

When your disc is finished burning, throw the game into your Dreamcast and it should work just fine.  ;D

NOTE: If your game does not work, then please do as I said above and try to write the disc at the minimum speed instead of maximum speed. This will greatly increase your chances of getting a good disc.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:20:42 PM by cube »

MeeMeesiko

This was moved from a the Dreamcast section into a Gamecube tutorials section.

I'm confused, but whatever.

deftrance

• Rep: 12
    • View Profile
It was moved into the Tutorials section. Nothing about the section says it's for Gamecube.

Some uploads may contain hidden files. For help, check out this tutorial.

MeeMeesiko

Tutorials:
Guides for various things to do with the GameCube.

deftrance

• View Profile
Wow, people actually read that =X If you look, you'll find the Tutorials section contains tutorials for many systems.

I'll have Cube modify the subforum description. Thanks for the heads-up.

Some uploads may contain hidden files. For help, check out this tutorial.

MeeMeesiko

Haha. Yeah. Well, I didn't want to look like a total idiot around the site, so I'v been trying to familiarize myself a little more.  :)

grimangel

• Executioner of Trolls
  • Infamous, Legendary, I'd rather be me.
    • View Profile
BTW, if I were you i would point out to not change the data type. Also you're burn speed is at maximum, minimum is best for burning dc games.
"Good thing we merge, since i'm loving my PS3 more than my Wii"

MeeMeesiko

Changed the tutorial up a little bit.

Thanks, Grim.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:55:32 PM by MeeMeesiko »

Frosty The DoucheBag

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
Re: [Dreamcast] TUTORIAL: Burning Dreamcast images using Alcohol 120%
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
one thing is the tutorials section is no longer in the gamecube section, also my dreamcast was made in February of 2000, so can it play backups? but other than that great post.

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
  • Rep: 110
  • Is my avatar changing everytime you refresh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
one thing is the tutorials section is no longer in the gamecube section, also my dreamcast was made in February of 2000, so can it play backups? but other than that great post.
Yes it will still work on your Dreamcast. I think it is now safe to say that dreamcast backups not working the later models is just rumour. There may be a game or 2 that may give a bit of trouble....but I certainly havn't had a problem yet.

Found these old site logos and thought I'd show them off for some nostalgia

cube

• Rep: 81
  • The Cubinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:33:43 AM »
BTW, if I were you i would point out to not change the data type. Also you're burn speed is at maximum, minimum is best for burning dc games.
I don't know about that, I burn all my DC games at 48X and they work perfect.

Dannyslr81

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »
Yes it will still work on your Dreamcast. I think it is now safe to say that dreamcast backups not working the later models is just rumour. There may be a game or 2 that may give a bit of trouble....but I certainly havn't had a problem yet.

Nope it isn't a rumour
I would know I got a dreamcast bundle with sonic adventure and sonic shuffle and it didn't load any burned games that worked on my cousin's dreamcast.So we had to buy another used dreamcast(then it got the auto-reset problem)

MeeMeesiko

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »
That is correct. It does not matter which version of the Dreamcast you have.

There's a piece of hardware inside every Dreamcast that was supposed to be used to prevent people from running backup games, but at the same time to be allow people to create homebrew games. A bug was exploited that allowed the Dreamcast to play backups because the Dreamcast actually read the backup as a homebrew game. Now you don't even need to use the bug, because programs like Alcohol 120 can burn double layer disc images.

Tags: