Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: November 24, 2014, 02:43:05 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: [XBOX] How to softmod an original XBOX  (Read 2821 times)

Adam Bomb

• Rep: 2
  • BOB SAGET IS YOUR GOD!
    • View Profile
[XBOX] How to softmod an original XBOX
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
Please note I will not be providing links to any downloads for this, this is just how to do it and what you need.
What you need.
1. an xbox

2. a memory card, I highly recomend an official msoft card.

3. action replay software and the cable for the mem cards

or hack up one of your trip cables to connect the controller to the pc. or find any xbox controller to usb converter, walmart sells one for 10 bucks
4. an original copy of one of these three games, no greatest hits.

ok to start you need to install action replay software, and then hook in your mem card and connect it to the computer.

with the action replay software running, look on the right, click the community button, look for the game you own. and download one of the files that should say run linux, some might also say things like softmod installer, linux installer, something like that. download and add it to your mem card.

once its done take the mem card out and turn off action replay. put it in your controller and turn on your xbox. dont put the game in yet, copy the installer from your memcard to the hdd.

now put the game in. when it loads go to the load file screen and load this.

you will see this screen.

back up your original ms dash.
then install softmod.
then install evox.

once those are installed you should be able to play legaly backed up games and possibly install one or two of the games to hdd.
further tuts will be up soon.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:19:12 PM by cube »
Soccer is not a sport for civilized people. Soccer appeals only to poor, uneducated halflings from underdeveloped countries where the women grow mustaches twice as fast as the men.

Adam Bomb

• BOB SAGET IS YOUR GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: How to softmod an original XBOX
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »
ok so now your box is modded, you can play burnt games.  what else is there. how about changing your HDD, sure 8 gigs is enough to save your files and play burnt games, but eventualy you want to not wory about discs, scratching them, burning them, etc.  for the price of 100 good dvdr discs you can probably find a good hdd.  Ive seen 500 gig IDE hard drives for under 50 dollars a couple times, lets look at newegg.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM              Your Price:$69.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJB 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM                Your Price:$59.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJB 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM                 Your Price:$49.99

at those prices you cant go wrong with a 500.
keep in mind you have to use a IDE hard drive, I think there are conversion things for sata but why go through the trouble.

ok first thing you need to do is hook your xbox to a network with your pc and load an FTP, I recomend flashfxp.
to do this once you have everything wired, go in your xbox, go to System > Settings > Network. There make sure Enable is set to Yes, Type set to DHCP and FTP Server is set to Yes, as shown:

save and reset the box. now go into your ftp program and tell it to connect to your xboxes IP. name and pass are both xbox, no caps. port 21
Ive found that at times I cant connect to the xboxes original IP so if you cant, change the IP on your xbox then save, restart and connect to the IP number you made.
once in you need to find the eeprom and save it to your pc.  it should be in the location E:\backup\MS and its called eeprom.bin  put it somewhere easy to remember on your pc hdd. I made a file called XBOXMOD in my documents and saved it to there.
next find and download xboxhdm and unzip it to the same location.
you will end up with this.

copy and paste your eeprom.bin to the eeprom folder.
now copy everything from your xboxes C and E folders to the C and E folders on the xboxhdm.
now go back to this location and run the program make iso

that will make a file called linux.iso  burn it onto a cd.

once that is done we get to have some fun.
take any hard drives and disc drives out of your pc except for one disc drive and the hard drive you want to mod, make sure your hard drive is in the end slot on your ide cable, and the disc drive on the middle slot.  put the linux cd in your disc drive and turn your comp on, it should load it automaticaly, it will look like this when it loads.

you want to type 1 and hit enter. it will take you to this screen.

type xboxhd and hit enter. this will take you to this screen.

hit 1 then enter. you will see this.

then this

type yes then hit enter, then this will show

type yes and hit enter. it will take a while then it will ask to do the same for E drive, type yes again and hit enter.
once this is done, reboot the computer and load the program again.
this time when it gets to the first screen type 3 and press enter. this screen will show

type lockhd -a and press enter, make sure you have the space and the dash in there.

now it should show a screen saying the security is enabled, I believe there will be 2 yes and 3 no. turn it off now, take out your xbox hd and put your computer back together.

now open your xbox and take the original hdd out, and put the new one in.

once this is all done you may have to reinstall the softmod again.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:07:20 PM by deftrance »
Soccer is not a sport for civilized people. Soccer appeals only to poor, uneducated halflings from underdeveloped countries where the women grow mustaches twice as fast as the men.

gtmtnbiker

• Rep: 11
  • Been dazed and confused for so long.
    • View Profile
Re: How to softmod an original XBOX
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial.  It's good stuff.
Must-Read Guides/Tutorials/FAQs:

1. Downloading/Extracting FAQ
2. Extracting oRARs
3. Dolphin FAQ

chatterx

• It isnt right if it isnt modded
  • Rep: 69
    • View Profile
Re: [XBOX] How to softmod an original XBOX
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »
EXCELLENT STUFF!!! will definitely look into a bigger hard drive now

great work... keep it up

hhhmmmm wondering if I need to do the soft mod once I get a new hard drive since I have a duo chip installed
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:22:41 PM by chatterx »

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
  • Rep: 110
  • Is my avatar changing everytime you refresh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
Great tutorial, very indepth...... It's a pitty I dont have the games or the action replay.

Found these old site logos and thought I'd show them off for some nostalgia

Adam Bomb

• BOB SAGET IS YOUR GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06:54 PM »
EXCELLENT STUFF!!! will definitely look into a bigger hard drive now

great work... keep it up

hhhmmmm wondering if I need to do the soft mod once I get a new hard drive since I have a duo chip installed
I have no idea, but Ive heard the hdd addon is a hell of a lot easier on a hardmodded xbox.  partly cause you dont have to worry about the hdd key.

ZERO16LIVES

• Rep: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
Nice tutorial
i soft modded mine a different way though because i was too cheap to get those games and the action replay. ;D

I had a friend, he took a belt. He took a belt, and hung himself.

Adam Bomb

• BOB SAGET IS YOUR GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:18:28 PM »
aww its only a few bucks.

Tags: