Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: February 26, 2017, 11:55:43 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: EA 'theoretically' interested in raising game prices for next gen  (Read 2485 times)

Devastating

• Forum Security
  • Rep: 47
  • Emulation God
    • View Profile
"Here's the bad news. EA is considering the idea of raising next-gen game prices to $69. Not exactly how we'd like things to go. The good news, you ask? EA doesn't consider the Wii U next-gen! If they do go ahead with this price hike and it hits Wii U games as well. We shouldn't pay next-gen prices when EA doesn't think Wii U is next-gen!"

TBH whether they class the Wii U as next Gen is not the issue for me .Its the fact that you may have to pay $69 for a Game on ANY system .

Whould you pay $69 for a game?

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
  • Rep: 110
  • Is my avatar changing everytime you refresh?
    • View Profile
Re: EA 'theoretically' interested in raising game prices for next gen
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:44:23 AM »
Make games any more expensive here in Australia, and we might as well start playing with marbles again.

Here's an example of a new release game in Australia (Fitting that the game is published by EA):

https://ebgames.com.au/ps3-157359-Crysis-3-Hunter-Edition-PlayStation-3

That's $98 AUSD. At the the current dollar, that is $100.63 USD.

How can these publishers get away with pretty much highway robbery? And then they wonder why people face no option but to get these game illegally. I've heard so many excuses as to why games are so expensive in Australia, but those excuses no longer have a leg to stand on when a game on Steam for example is more expensive for Australians than anywhere else.

Found these old site logos and thought I'd show them off for some nostalgia

Devastating

• Forum Security
  • Rep: 47
  • Emulation God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:54:15 AM »
How many other companys will also follow suit?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:11:40 AM by Devastating »

Rooskie

• Web / Graphic Designer
  • Rep: 71
  • Peacetime Mandalorian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
Make games any more expensive here in Australia, and we might as well start playing with marbles again.

Here's an example of a new release game in Australia (Fitting that the game is published by EA):

Oh hey Ray how's it goin? 

Eh...there's a little more to it than that.  The minimum wage in Australia is $15.96 AUD.  The minimum wage in the US is determined by state, but there's a national limit.  The national minimum wage is $7.25 USD. 

$98 / $15.96 = 6.15 hours of work for a typical Australian
Assume that game is $60 over here?
$60 / $7.25 = 8.28 hours of work for a typical American

So really, we're paying more already.
Chatterx's Revenge:
1. Outland | 2. Uncharted 2

Virtus

• Silent Antagonist
  • Rep: 80
  • cout << "Yay";
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
It was already pushy to bump up the price of games from $50 to $60 with the introduction of the Xbox 360 and PS3, but another push to $70 plus tax for standard editions? EA sometimes gives more reasons to pirate games instead of actually buying them. Their business model is becoming criminal/irrational if you ask me.

XX-STR8

• Rep: 26
  • I will always fight for what I believe, even if it's against an army.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Well damn, I'm already buying older used games on PS3, all this price hike for me means is that I'm gonna have to wait longer to buy a game. These high prices are also going to encourage people to buy games used instead. If you wanna increase piracy, increase game prices. With everything going digital these companies already have a chance to make even more of a profit, just sell the games on PS Store, Xbox Live, and Nintendo Shop for less than the store price and make a higher profit. If they want increased game sales and decreased used game sales then they have to compete, and they can. Shit, I'd buy a digital game over a used game if I could spend like $5 (used) or $10 (new) less on it.

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
  • Rep: 110
  • Is my avatar changing everytime you refresh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:34:53 AM »
Oh hey Ray how's it goin? 

Eh...there's a little more to it than that.  The minimum wage in Australia is $15.96 AUD.  The minimum wage in the US is determined by state, but there's a national limit.  The national minimum wage is $7.25 USD. 

$98 / $15.96 = 6.15 hours of work for a typical Australian
Assume that game is $60 over here?
$60 / $7.25 = 8.28 hours of work for a typical American

So really, we're paying more already.
Been good man. Sorry I haven't been around.

Fair point on the calculations by the way.

It still doesn't seem fair however that we have to pay usually over 30%+ more for digitally distributed games. In the end seeing as the Australian and US currency is almost exactly the same at the moment, there is no reason why Publishers can do this to us. Just because generally the Australian income is higher, it should not give Publishers the right to rob us.

I used to understand this reasoning for hard copy games, but when it comes to digital distribution... it's just shameful.

This is more for IT products, but hopefully something comes out of the below:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/11/australian-court-summons-microsoft-apple-and-adobe-to-answer-for-high-prices/

Found these old site logos and thought I'd show them off for some nostalgia

torturelabs

• Rep: 72
  • I'm into autoerotic-asphyxiation, how about you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
I would 69 somebody for a game lol
In all seriousness I would pay that, but that's just on a game or two that intrigues me and I jump on the bandwagon.
Recently bought Crysis 3 for example, and will be buying Bioshock - Infinite later... that's pretty much it this year I think though.

Games start off at $69 here anyways, then gradually decrease as time goes by.
I mean PC (as well as console) games are allot cheaper than they were about an year ago.
Though yeah, there's the issue with older gen games being the same price, so I kinda understand their reasons for setting that price... not that I completely agree with them.

How can these publishers get away with pretty much highway robbery? And then they wonder why people face no option but to get these game illegally. I've heard so many excuses as to why games are so expensive in Australia, but those excuses no longer have a leg to stand on when a game on Steam for example is more expensive for Australians than anywhere else.
That price is scary bro D:

KnightRaider

• I'm Autistic
  • Rep: 15
  • Got a problem with that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:45 PM »
Agreed now you know why people pirate games :P.

DemonFiren

• Rep: 9
  • FARA ETERNAL! Also, brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »
So, in Germany that basically means I have to pay more for a game with less content than almost anywhere else.

Pyrotempest

• Level 99 Game Hoarder
  • Rep: 38
  • If I helped you, click [+] Brohoof /)
    • Skype - shawnnaugler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 05:59:08 AM »

I actually was speaking with my co workings regarding the Aussie gaming prices and they actually came back with a completely reasonable reason as to why your gaming habit can be so much more expensive.
Shipping
You live on a giant island continent where everything needs to be shipped by air or sea, which are the most expensive modes of transporting goods. As far as I've been aware, almost everything that isn't "made in Australia" is expensive as hell there. Makes reason #2 for me to not live there though lol.

But in regards to this:

System (year)
                           Game cost in
                           USD at system
                           launch year
                                                 Adjusted for
                                                 inflation as of
                                                 December 2010
 NES (1986)
                         29.99-49.99       59.79-99.65
 SNES (1991)
                         49.99-59.99       80.17-96.21
 N64 (1996)
                         49.99               69.60
 PS2 (2000)
                         49.99               63.41
 Xbox 360 (2005)
                         59.99               67.10

(Source: EGM print issue 243.)

So basically, in terms of previous prices, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the extra 10$ what with how poor money's value is in this current day and age.

Tags: