Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: June 22, 2017, 11:34:18 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: Motorola Atrix Review  (Read 1915 times)

Flint

• Rep: 20
  • That guy you see sometimes
    • View Profile
Motorola Atrix Review
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
Yes, another handset review for our wonderful section, but this one goes out to the bad boy I just bought. The motorola atrix. the only mobile phone on the market (in the uk at least) sporting a lovely nvidia tegra 2 and 1Ghz dual core processor underneath its 4" quarter HD screen. Along with a 1930 mAh it also has the battery life to keep it all running.

Much like Raysie with his xperia play, this is my first Android phone. For the last 16 months I've been using a little refurbished nokia 5800 xpressmusic edition, so android is pretty new for my use as a daily OS. The device arrived with version 2.2. Not the latest version available, but it could certainly be worse. It also contains Motorola's own layer of motoblur interface. From numerous reviews I've heard motoblur is slow and not very nice, but thanks to the power the device has, it feels very responsive and has a certain aura about it I prefer over HTC's own version. With 7 home screens, theres plenty of room for shortcuts and widgets. Thanks to the high res screen theres even more room.

Hardware wise I like it. As stated earlier its dual core, tegra 2, quarter HD display and massive battery. Theres 16Gb internal storage and expandable with a 32Gb microSDHC memory card. 1Gb ram. A mini HDMI output port and a finger print scanner. Yes, a finger print scanner for unlocking the phone. The 4" screen is nice and clear with everything I've read on it. The phone is comfortable to hold with both one or two hands and being comfortable to type on a qwerty keyboard with either one or two hands again. Its thinner than my old phone, so even though its wider, it doesn't sit uncomfortably in the pocket.

As like most devices by large companies, Motorola have kindly provided their own bloatware. Contrary to the term, I have been using some of the apps provided as they give me exactly what I want. One being a widget giving me updates to my facebook and twitter accounts, so they have provided some useful stuff. The widgets are also in a style that fits well with the motoblur interface I feel.

I've only had the device for today, so thanks to a shift of work I've yet to fully test out the devices raw power. As for a days use though I feel the battery will easily tear this phone through 24 hours. From an 80% battery at about 5pm it is at still 40% charge now at midnight. That might not seem great, but the device has downloaded multiple apps, over both wifi and 3G, continuously fed me updates from facebook and twitter, made several phone calls and sent a massive number of text messages. Along with some proper facebook checks through an app. Even half this previously drained the nokia 5800 from full to flat during one shift at work. The screen is still quite prone to having the odd finger print smudge right across it, but isnt too bad. The finger print scanner takes some getting used too. Its normally quite easy toget first time, but sometimes it does take 2 or 3 attempts to get it. As for the camera, I have yet to test it properly. 5Mp still capture shouldn't disappoint and 720p video capture is also available, with 1080p coming in the future.

Of course the device is on a contract for 24 months, which is a long time for any phone. Lets hope the hardware does last long enough to keep up for that length of time. For those in the u.k I got it on a £25 a month contract, phone is free, 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb internet data with orange.

This device is obviously for the power hungry. There are a few great phones in this market and the most common competitor is the Samsung Galaxy S II. I chose this over that because I feel the tegra 2 will be used soon. Tegra 2 devices will get access to the playstation market coming to android soon, so this is the only other phone to have the privilage of that store. The tegra 2 might not be common in phones, but its certainly common in tablets. I feel its superior to the Galaxy S II, but with little marketing it is the underdog in this battle.

If you want a powerful phone, its a great option. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:26:54 PM by Flint »

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
  • Rep: 110
  • Is my avatar changing everytime you refresh?
    • View Profile
Re: Motorola Atrix Review
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:36:27 AM »
It's a beast!

Awesome pick up, Flint. I never go on plans though, as I know in 2 years time Android phones will be on a whole-nother level.

Found these old site logos and thought I'd show them off for some nostalgia

Flint

• Rep: 20
  • That guy you see sometimes
    • View Profile
Re: Motorola Atrix Review
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
That sounds like some decent battery life for such a beastly phone.

Does the phone warm up considerably during use?

From what I've done on it, not at all. My girlfriends HTC Wildfire heats up more doing basic web browsing or simple gaming. I spent a good hour playing Pocket Legends (An android MMORPG!!!) on my phone and no noticable temperature change to be felt. Im sure software would pick up differences but I'm happy as long as it doesn't warm up my hand.

I know 2 years is a long time to be stuck with any phone. Hell, I feel sorry for anyone who takes a 2 year contract with an Iphone. Im hoping that the hardware will last. As much as its appearing that quad core phones might be right around the corner, software has yet to catch up completely. Theres very little using all these dual core phones have to offer as it is, never mind what tegra is capable of serving up. Firefox as a web browser is demanding in comparisson to just about everything else available, but it boots effortlessly aswell as being responsive and lightning quick, yet it soaks up over 20mb of ram.

As another quick mention, I have tried a SNES emulator on the phone. I have to say I understand what the xperia play really does have to offer now that I've properly experienced platform gaming without proper buttons. It's not quite as bad as I expected, but its certainly not far away from it. I can't wait to really push this thing with emulation. Playstation and N64 will be forced onto it soon enough.

Tags: