Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: October 20, 2017, 02:48:17 PM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Review - Raysie  (Read 1953 times)

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
  • Rep: 110
  • Is my avatar changing everytime you refresh?
    • View Profile
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Review - Raysie
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:34:44 AM »

As soon as I heard of its announcement, I knew it was that perfect device that just needed to be in my pocket. It would finally solve my problem of always carrying my iPhone 3G and PSPgo everywhere I went. After a while we found out it wasn't really a PSPhone - Just a Playstation Certified phone that was pretty much your standard Android device with a Sony branded gamepad that slides out from underneath. Sounds pretty lame in theory doesn't it? In reality though, it couldn't be far from the truth. More to where the gameplay shines later though.

The Xperia PLAY is my first Android phone, after being an iPhone 3G user for the last 6 months. The iPhone had its downsides and upsides, but all in all I was quite content with it. It wasn't until the iPhone's battery failure of late that forced me to look at other phones available. The Xperia PLAY was a phone I always wanted, but it seemed every review I read/viewed never really thought of the phone positively. The reviews and price kept me wary that my dreams of owning an Xperia PLAY anytime soon wasn't going to happen. My constant ignorance on the matter paved through though as it wasn't long until I ended up purchasing a used Xperia PLAY on eBay for $385AUD.

I've been in pretty bad form though when it's come to buying portable gadgets lately. Most of the time I'd just be there staring at the gadget/portable game console and just staring at it saying, "Now what do I do?". I didn't get that negative feeling from the Xperia Play though. From since I purchased the Xperia PLAY to this current moment, I just haven't been able to get it out of my sights. It allows me to play my favorite apps I was playing on my iPhone (Like Angry Birds for example), has amazing compatibility with emulators and best of all, wait for it... wait for it... No iTunes! Remember the days when you used to download an mp3 song online and then send it to your SD card via your PC/Laptop by simply dragging and dropping? Well that is possible with Xperia PLAY, and all Android phones for that matter! No longer are there the days where I could only send a song from a certain PC of mine rather than the more convenient option of sometimes using another PC I own. Sorry Apple fans/users, just saying it how it is.

Onto what the Xperia PLAY is really about now- Gaming. In terms of physical power, the Xperia Play doesn't offer any more than any other current Android phone on the market. Actually, if anything, it's quite low end in terms of power compared to the high end Android phones which are running on dual core processors at the moment. The Xperia PLAY makes up for it though by adding one simple feature that no "real" gamer can live without out - Buttons! Yep, buttons. The Xperia PLAY currently has very little 'Xperia Play Optimized' games, and games like Bruce Lee definitely aren't going to sell Xperia PLAY's that's for sure. There are some hidden gems though, like the Xperia PLAY optimized Age of Zombies game. I've played this game on my iPhone before, and it was slightly slower and of course you were forced to use the touch screen with virtual analogue sticks to move your character. With the PLAY, the speed of Age of Zombies was perfect while using the touchpad analogue sticks on the gamepad made me look like a pro!

But we all know why we really want the Xperia PLAY - Emulation. Emulation on the Xperia PLAY is awesome! As mentioned, the Xperia PLAY is far from being the most powerful of Android phones, but it doesn't stop it from being able to run PS1 and N64 amazingly well. Every PS1 game I've played on the Xperia PLAY using FPSE (A PS1 emulator) have all ran at 95-100% with the only issues ever really arising was sound bugs every now and then. Practically every other emulator based off a console made before the PS1/N64, as expected, works amazing and perfect. Assigning buttons from your gamepad rather than your touchscreen is an ease, and playing emulators via buttons rather than tapping virtual buttons on a touchscreen is what makes the Xperia PLAY awesome and splits it apart from other Android phones and Apple branded devices on the market.In the end that's what makes a device these days, splitting it apart from the logjam of other similar products.

On to the phone side of things - As a phone it's pretty standard. It doesn't provide anything less and it doesn't really provide you anything more. I personally found using an iPhone 3G for the phone features to be more convenient with the little things than the Xperia PLAY, maybe it's just me but I found using an iPhone to make calls a whole lot more quicker.

The speakers on the Xperia PLAY are absolutely amazing. I've never heard something so loud and crisp on a portable device as I have on the Xperia PLAY. Playing games and hearing music without headphones is now a joy.

If you are looking for something new, have money to spend, a fan of emulation and gaming in general then the Xperia PLAY is for you. I haven't been able to get it out of my sight yet and don't plan to. It's a phone with that 'WOW!' factor that doesn't seem to fail to impress when showing it to friends and family.

Found these old site logos and thought I'd show them off for some nostalgia

TASE

• Mac Expert
  • Rep: 22
  • Vacuum boy to the rescue!
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Review - Raysie
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:30 AM »
Amazing review raysie. I kinda want to go buy one right now that you persuaded. Sounds like your going to have fun with this phone. One question: How does flash/any website work on it?

^ Click the gif to PM me ^

If you need a password for my archive it will be powermacg4

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:53:42 AM »
One question: How does flash/any website work on it?
Pretty well in my opinion. Flash videos are not perfect when browsing, but definitely are better than no flash at all. As for other types of flash content I can't really comment sadly, as I haven't ever really taken notice.

I forgot to dwell into web browsing on the Xperia PLAY, which I actually do often. LOL

Web Browsing is a breeze and I love it. In fact I've been using my PC less lately due to the ease of using my Xperia PLAY as practically my second computer.

TASE

• Mac Expert
  • Rep: 22
  • Vacuum boy to the rescue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:55:57 AM »
>.>

My phone cant work as a brick.

Guessing this is SIM as you had an iPhonr before.

Enjoy you phone as its something i never get to experience.

^ Click the gif to PM me ^

If you need a password for my archive it will be powermacg4

Flint

• Rep: 20
  • That guy you see sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »
So after reading the review on engadget I dismissed it quite quickly, even after waiting for it for a long time. What has put me off was the battery life being not particularly great and the screen being pretty dim were my biggest issues that engadget covered. Any chance of confirmation on how these 2 worries are?

I have recently been eyeing up the motorola atrix for quite ome time. Dual core 1Ghz processor, tegra 2, massive battery and qHD screen res adds up for a great phone. Since you have posted this singing praises about the phone as being great to you, a first time android user, I have my doubts. The atrix will be getting access to the playstation stuff in the future, as will all tegra 2 devices, but I dont know if the buttons are a worth while trade off for the massive power, battery and screen quality, as it all obviously comes at a larger price.

What does please me is hearing how great the playstation and N64 emulators run on the device. To hear this phone can handle them brilliantly and support the buttons is fantastic.

Raysie

• Mr. Public Relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:32:33 AM »
What has put me off was the battery life being not particularly great and the screen being pretty dim were my biggest issues that engadget covered. Any chance of confirmation on how these 2 worries are?
Two good questions. Battery life is very solid in my opinion. I can only judge on battery life based on what I had with the iPhone 3G, and I have to say battery for the Xperia PLAY has been great for me. I play games at full volume and full screen brightness and battery still lasts quite a long time.

As for screen brightness, I'll be honest - Isn't quite the best. I personally have the screen brightness maxed out and even then it just looks normal rather than that beautiful lighting effect you'd like to expect from full brightness. The screen issue personally hasn't affected the way I rate the phone, but I can see why others may not want to Xperia PLAY due to the brightness issue.

I have recently been eyeing up the motorola atrix for quite ome time. Dual core 1Ghz processor, tegra 2, massive battery and qHD screen res adds up for a great phone. Since you have posted this singing praises about the phone as being great to you, a first time android user, I have my doubts. The atrix will be getting access to the playstation stuff in the future, as will all tegra 2 devices, but I dont know if the buttons are a worth while trade off for the massive power, battery and screen quality, as it all obviously comes at a larger price.
If you're a guy that drools for the power and grunt of the current crop of Android phones, then you'll be a hater of the Xperia PLAY. If you want the phone that can do everything you wished a portable console could do plus more, than you'll love the Xperia PLAY like I have.

What does please me is hearing how great the playstation and N64 emulators run on the device. To hear this phone can handle them brilliantly and support the buttons is fantastic.
Yeah, I'll be honest my interest in the Xperia PLAY dropped off for a few months after the phone was released. What got my mind back on it again was one day where I saw a video on YouTube of Ocarina of Time playing on it using N64oid, and I'm an emulation freak LOL. Soon as I saw that it became a goal of mine to get an Xperia PLAY.

But for me, although emulation performance would no doubt be better on high end Android phones such as the Motorola Atrix, nothing beats a gamepad. Emulation without buttons just isn't the same for me.

Sorry for the large size post BTW, didn't notice how much I rabbled on until I previewed it. LOL

Tags: