Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: January 21, 2017, 12:22:18 PM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: (PC) Zero-k  (Read 839 times)

BTK

• Rep: 4
  • The End is near...
    • View Profile
(PC) Zero-k
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »
Zero-K
How can I surmise this game into words? The only thing I can possibly say is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (thumbs up if you got the reference). Anyways this game is just awesome. Think starcraft 2 but inifnitely more awesome.
Graphics (9/10)
On par with sc2 in my opinion. the game runs pretty smooth on all systems depending on what settings you use. The units are very detailed and and there really aren't any issues with it. kind of lags if your settings are too high during multiplayer though)
Gameplay (10/10)
Basically you got two resources, metal and energy. You build metal extractors on metal deposits and energy generators wherever you want. You can build said things using your commander or an engineer. In a match, you start out with your commander are allowed to build one free factory. The factory is capable of building units for your disposal. of these you can build are engineers that are also capable of building units. There are several different factories that you can build. e.g.: kbot, light vehicle, shield bot, heavy tank, airplane, gunship etc. Of all the units you can use, there are about 130 total different and unique war machines in your arsenal. After building your factory, one typically starts building up their economy, base, and army. Now, there is one thing that sets Zero-k completely away from all the traditional rts's there are out there : Real time processng of projectiles. Now, it might not sound like a lot, but it's a big deal. Let's say you're playing starcraft, and your marines happen to be ssituated behind a wall that holds the enemy on the pther side. Your troops amazingly defy the laws of physics and start shooting THROUGH the walls at your enemy. Zero-K does not do this. In Zero-k, you will see that your shots will be blocked by the terrain and therefore cannot get to the enemy unless you move around the obstacle. This causes Zero-k's level of difficulty and overall experience go up. Firstly, the difficulty is increased because you can't defy the laws of physics anymore, but you can experience an entirely different kind of game that is closer to reality.

to sum it all up
Pros
-hugely varied units, no unit is useless
-Big Badass Robots that can blow up other Big Badass Robots
-Big Badass Gunships that can blow up the Big Badass Robot
-FOUR Big Badass nukes... ok you get the idea, there are badass(big) units
-Online player community is pretty nice, no noob calling here
-Real time analysis of projectiles
-amazing graphics
-Have you ever played a game that had 4v4, with +1000 units each all charging at each other in an epic clash?
edit: Also runs on Linux
Cons
-steep learning curve, play ai before you try multi
-there isn't that big of a fan base for Zero-K
-people will be annoyed about not being able to defy the laws of physics
-maps are a pain to download, ~25 mb each
-no tutorial in game
-none of the units yell out FOR NARNIA! during the clash... :'(

wait, I forgot something important...
IT'S FREE, OPEN SOURCE AND FREQUENTLY UPDATED! ;D

that's right, you heard me, F-R-E-E, FREE!
this game is a mod for the Spring engine developed by fans of the original Total Annihilation game. The amount of space it takes up adds up to about only 400mb. Now back to the review...
I'm gonna give the game a 9/10 because though there's a whole lot of awesomeness packed into 400mb, no one really tells you how to really utilise that awesomeness.
,but if I count in the fact that it's completely free, then it's a definite 10/10

link to download
http://www.zero-k.info/Wiki.mvc/Download
link to tutorial and manual
http://www.zero-k.info/Wiki.mvc/Manual
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:08:41 AM by BTK »

Anime that YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING
-Anohana
-Gosick
-Tiger and Bunny
-Digimon Xros Wars

Eltrion

• Local Mod
  • Rep: 10
  • Run.
    • View Profile
Re: (PC) Zero-k
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
Nice. The Spring engine is very cool. I've fooled around with it before, but what  they were doing a few years ago was downright primitive compared to this. Thanks for the tip off.

Another pro: Runs Natively in Linux!
System Specs:
i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
Raedon HD 6870
Arch LInux

BTK

• Rep: 4
  • The End is near...
    • View Profile
Re: (PC) Zero-k
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:07:26 AM »
thanks for reminding me. I forgot it also was compatible with linux.

Anime that YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING
-Anohana
-Gosick
-Tiger and Bunny
-Digimon Xros Wars

Tags: