Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: August 30, 2014, 09:10:41 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: [GC] XenoGC Installation guide  (Read 32307 times)

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • Rep: 21
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
[GC] XenoGC Installation guide
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:51:29 PM »
BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO DO THIS INSTALLATION, IT'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU PRACTICE SOLDERING WIRES ON OLD ELECTRONICS BOARDS

This will show you how to install the XenoGC mod chip onto your gamecube. I would only recommend doing this if you have a moderate amount of soldering experience, as it is quite small and precision is needed. This is the little bugger - about the same size as a fingernail.

Firstly remove the casing of the gamecube with a special tool usually known as a "gamebit" screwdriver. It usually sells on ebay for under $2, or a lot of retailers will provide you with one when you purchase your XenoGC. Some electronics stores will carry them also, they look something like this.

Once your casing is off, your gamecube will look like this

Turn it upside down and remove the 6 screws on the plate covering the drive unit

Then you should be looking at the board below the drive unit

Look for the spot on the board that has "CN302" printed on it. This is where your XenoGC will be soldered.

Before soldering, clean the solder points with alcohol based cleaner or something similar. Line the XenoGC chip onto the solder points before you start so you make sure you know where each solder point should be. You can use wires if you want to, but I prefer to mount it straight to the board.  If you're not very experienced at soldering, stick with using wires.

You may want to use some electrical tape to cover the traces that should not get solder.  If you're not careful enough, you could get solder on other traces and thereby cause a short.

Apply a small amount of solder to the solderpoints before you place your XenoGC on it, then a small amount of solder on each point and its installed!

IMPORTANT
Before putting your gamecube back together, you need to do two things. Firstly, check that the Xeno is installed properly. To do this, just place your gamecube back together without replacing any screws. Here's a photo that shows the xeno gc connected using the wired method and temporarily taped. Note the use of cardboard to isolate the chip from the board (prevent electrical shorts)

Now just put the drive back onto its connector. Don't put any screws in because you still need to adjust the POT.  Here's a photo of it put back together temporarily.

Power it on, and you should see through the cooling vents a small red light.

Watch it for a few seconds, and if it turns green you know your chip is properly installed.

Secondly you need to adjust your POT (laser) settings so that you can play imported or backup games. You can find the guide here

Thanks go to Schweino for teaching me how to do it!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:14:53 PM by Eltrion »

cube

• Rep: 81
  • The Cubinator
    • View Profile
Re: [GC] XenoGC Installation guide
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Good guide!  You should put that you can also use wires if your soldering iron isn't fine enough to do the wireless install; mine wasn't.

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »
I did!  ;D

cube

• Rep: 81
  • The Cubinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
lol, my bad.  I'm really tired right now and not exactly thinking the clearest.

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »
No wonder you're tired, you've been uploading like a maniac!

BoogieTrain

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »
when u say apply solder to the points first, one would heat the soldering iron. then melt solder onto it then touch the liquid solder to the points so a small amount stays on the point?

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
Yep. Heat your iron and quickly touch it to each solder point on the board to create a "sticky" for your solder to attach to, then drop a small amount of iron onto it before attaching your Xeno. It's extremely precise, as cube said you will need quite a fine solder tip to do it.

BoogieTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:52:37 AM »
i dont think i quite understand. touch the contacts on the GC with a hot/dry iron?  Then I would put the chip down, apply the iron to the contact point and feed solder into contact, if im just dropping solder into the joints wouldnt it make a cold joint?

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 06:55:08 AM »
Yes, if you quickly apply the hot dry iron to the GC where the solderpoints will be before you apply the solder it will create a better surface for the solder to stick on. Then apply apply a small amount of solder to the GC before you put the chip on, and then when you put the chip on apply a small amount of solder to each point again.

BoogieTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:41:36 PM »
okay. so when i sit the xenoGC on the cube's board, its really gonna be sitting above the board, sitting on the solder. then when i apply the heat/solder, the old solder (below the xenogc) and the new solder will melt and fuse making a nice joint. shit, this is gonna have to be percise, gonna have to buy the finest tip and thinnest solder they have at radio shack. Do u think a 30W iron is too much? usually at any lower the solder i had refused to melt.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:55:18 PM by BoogieTrain »

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
30W should be ok. But you got the install all figured out now :D

BoogieTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
Greatt :D

Have you ever heard of this wrapping a paperclip around the iron and using one end as a new tip for the iron?

My xenoGC came in today. Im going to go see if I can solder it on tomorrow at one of my school's labs.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:32:05 AM by BoogieTrain »

mastergamer33

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
where do i buy this stuff and i have absolutley no soldering experience whatsoever. what do i do??????????
i dont know what to say here.  ummmm

mr.giggity

• Resurrected!
  • FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
If you've not soldered before, I'd recommend having someone else do it, or just buy the pre-modded GC cube is selling!

WickidWiisel

• LOL im demoted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
just practice on some old radios and stuff there are millions of tutorials across the web on how to solder including youtube
[
Click my sig or insert http://wiisels.wordpress.com// into your browser
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever".
Shigeru Miyamoto
[/ce

Tags: