Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: November 17, 2017, 09:45:53 PM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: Proper IRC Usage: a Public Service Announcement  (Read 1330 times)

Rooskie

• Web / Graphic Designer
  • Rep: 71
  • Peacetime Mandalorian
    • View Profile
Proper IRC Usage: a Public Service Announcement
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
So after Friday night's incident (marijuana debate that was handled poorly) we've changed our policy on IRC promotions.  In the past we've given +h to Bit Legends and +v to Bit Heroes.  I've never understood why exactly we did that.  Voice is useless unless the room is muted and there's not too much that separates a halfop from a regular op.  Now the breakdown goes like this:

Admin - Operator
Global Moderator - Operator
Local Moderator - Undecided, but probably Half-Operator
Bit Legend - Voice
Bit Hero - Voice

Regardless of privileges being stripped, I'd like to take a moment to talk about bans.  Bans are not taken lightly on site or on chat.  There are only 4 users capable of swinging the ban hammer on site.  The only reason someone can be banned right out is for being a spambot.  Bans are extremely rare here and each one is discussed before it happens. 

So back to Friday night's incident. It was basically XX-STR8 v the rest of the channel on the legalization of Marijuana.  XX-STR8 was threatened to be banned by 3 users (I don't need to name names 'cause you know damn well who you are), none of whom are members of staff.  His only crime was being the only user in the room supporting his side.  For not discontinuing his argument (keep in mind that the other side never budged either) he was kicked and banned by some of our most trusted community members.  This never should have happened.

If you can't handle politics and religion then stay away from discussions involving them.  Everyone out there needs to realize that just because you have an opinion it doesn't mean you're right about everything.  There's at least 2 sides to every argument and the only way to come to a conclusion is to hear out both ends.  You can't pick one side and not hear the other out.

As far as I'm concerned this is no better than treating someone poorly because of their race.  You're supposed to be the best members our community has to offer.  Act like it.
Chatterx's Revenge:
1. Outland | 2. Uncharted 2

TASE

• Mac Expert
  • Rep: 22
  • Vacuum boy to the rescue!
    • View Profile
Re: Proper IRC Usage: a Public Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »
Thank you rooskie. Ive left the room several times because of crap like that.

Hopefully there will be less of that now.

^ Click the gif to PM me ^

If you need a password for my archive it will be powermacg4

XX-STR8

• Rep: 26
  • I will always fight for what I believe, even if it's against an army.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »
Some people may be a little mad about losing their position in IRC. Which is understandable. I want to clarify that it wasn't my goal for such a thing to happen. Violence via chat really annoys me, especially when it comes to a debate.
Anyway when it comes to debating I think there should be some guidelines/rules put in place to help keep the debate organized and prevent it from becoming a flame war. Things such as no name calling, no threatening, no remarks such as "piss off" or "screw you", stick to the topic and not bash the defender, etc. With some careful planning we could put in a system that doesn't infringe on rights and what not.

SlyBane

• Rep: 7
  • ^did someone say zelda?^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
Wow, I can't believe I missed this one...

I can't believe that happened to you XX=STR8. I'm a firm believer in debating as long as it doesn't get carried away to the point where it's just bashing. Each person should be able to defend their beliefs reasonably and be mature about it instead of throwing a fit when someone doesn't agree with them. We seem to run into people like that every now and then in IRC, hopefully we won't have as many problems in the future.

As you can see, I recently changed my Nickname to Vanwa. Supposedly it means 'Lost' in The Lord of the Rings Elvish.

Croixiane

• Rep: 24
  • When there is hope, there is a way~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
I truly don't know about what happened but I feel sorry for this kind of things should happen.....
Debating should never resulted in anything like this, everyone has their own beliefs and we can't push anyone to walk on the same beliefs as we are see fit.
I do hope IRC will become a better place to stick at.

Tags: