Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: November 24, 2017, 11:23:38 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: newbie snes gamecube and sd media launcher?  (Read 4259 times)

sillyrabbitt123

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
newbie snes gamecube and sd media launcher?
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
I dont know what i am doing so any help is greatly appreciated!  I want to try to emulate snes [games I own] on gamecube using sd launcher from datel. I read a thread where they were using Snes9xGx 2.0.1b1 - Snes Emulator for the Wii/Gamecube.

Is there a guide to excatly what I need to DL and do floating around?  i know this is so last decade but I wanted to do this if possible.  What do i need?

[1] SDML [I ordered a 1gb version]
[2] Snes9xGx [what version ?]
[3] Do i need an SD Gecko or if I have SDML I am ok?
[4] a non SDHC 2gbs or less
[5] GC

is that it?  THANKS!

can I use any version to accomplish this? if I am totally off track what do I need to do this? thank you in advance.

torturelabs

• Rep: 72
  • I'm into autoerotic-asphyxiation, how about you?
    • View Profile
Re: newbie snes gamecube and sd media launcher?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »
I'll be updating it soon, test out the SDML with this pack:
http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=30374.0

[1] SDML [I ordered a 1gb version]
Cool, although I would suggest more than 1GB if you want to emulate GC games.
There are bugs, but games are playable.

[2] Snes9xGx [what version ?]
Obviously newer versions have bug fixes, but just download my pack so you get use to the controls/settings for now^

[3] Do i need an SD Gecko or if I have SDML I am ok?
You're OK!

SDML and SDGECKO accomplish the same thing.
They're both able to boot hombrew.
That said, the SD Media Launcher is far better and here's why;
1. You get a disk with the SDML
    Unlike the SDGECKO were you need to buy an old version of AR (separate disk) which is practically impossible to find.
    Or you could use an SDML disk in conjunction with an SDgecko but that would be pointless now wouldn't it, as you already have the loader and SDML disk.
    You could also burn an AR or SDML miniDVD and use that, but you would need a modchip (also GClinux complications) in order to read disk, again pointless, and a waste of time.

2. From the quality of the SDML itself to the GUI, everything looks professional. I love cokejunkies because of it.
3. It's easy to use. Saves you headaches.

[4] a non SDHC 2gbs or less
What?

[5] GC
Uh, yeah.

can I use any version to accomplish this? if I am totally off track what do I need to do this? thank you in advance.
Open link above ^ read red text.

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
torturelabs you are a gaming god!  Thanks!  This looks pretty straight forward and amazing although I am sure sillyrabbitt will mess it up a little :)

a few quick questions:

[1] you mention 1gb vs 2gb do you mean buy the bigger 2gb version of sdml if i want to emulate gc games?  or do you mean if i want to play gc game backups [of games i own]?

[2] your pack really has everything i need in one place?  i been doing alot of research and names like swiss and GCos have popped up. 
-Swiss is for backups [of games you own] which allows you too boot from sd instead of minidvd? 
- Gcos is used for modded gc and i dont need to worry about that one?

[3] another stupid/silly question but the gamecube controller works as the controller for all emulated games or do i need  to research that as well? 

[4] i want to play say mario kart DoubleDash which i own the disk and be able to cheat.  whats the best method to accomplish this?

-- play from a backup instead booted from SD card using swiss?

--or use the disk of MArio Kart DD and somehow move a cheat file from actionreplay.dol or MCbackup up using a .gci file

is that right?  if its too much of a pain to answer i fully understand.  THANKS for all the help thus far!

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
play gc game backups [of games i own]?
You can say you're a pirate around here, so don't be afraid to say it.

[1] you mention 1gb vs 2gb do you mean buy the bigger 2gb version of sdml if i want to emulate gc games?  or do you mean if i want to play gc game backups [of games i own]?
To play GC backups I mean.
GC games range from 50MB-1.35GB

Although it states the following on the codejunkies page;

As far as I know, you can go up to 64GB SD cards.
I tested my SDML with a 8GB SDHC Kingston and it worked.

SD cards are relatively cheap, so if you want my advice simply buy the SDML itself.
Buy a large memory card separately.
You can get a 4-64GB for around $10

Also, I don't think they sell the 1GB version anymore, I saw /SDML only and 2GB/ versions.
I think you purchased the SDML only version for $19.99

[2] your pack really has everything i need in one place?  i been doing alot of research and names like swiss and GCos have popped up. 
-Swiss is for backups [of games you own] which allows you too boot from sd instead of minidvd? 
Yes, everything is there. Emulators as well as loaders and some misc stuff.
As mentioned in the pack info, some things were not added as they did not work properly and are not being updated anymore.
Also, watch the video I made on that page for a quick peek into the emulators.

GCOS is used to boot miniDVD backups.
If you ever want to run burned miniDVD's use that.
You may need to adjust your laser pot in order for the GC laser to properly read the burned disks.
Don't worry about it if you only plan to run games via SWISS.

NOTE: Compatibility in GCOS is far better than SWISS
          SWISS is still in beta mode, meaning there are allot of glitches/bugs.
          Swiss is updated/fixed every 1-6months so update when new versions come out.

There are upsides and downsides to both methods, but if a little noise garble doesn't bother you, stick with SWISS
There are some bugs and movie garble but overall game-play is perfect.
Here's a test showing Swiss in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zn-5MgIKOQ&list=UUVNhf1fseOSMIu6FmMi8nIA

[3] another stupid/silly question but the gamecube controller works as the controller for all emulated games or do i need  to research that as well?
GC controller works haha ;p
I mapped the buttons to the controller for emulators, so you don't have to do that.

[4] i want to play say mario kart DoubleDash which i own the disk and be able to cheat.  whats the best method to accomplish this?
Short version:
Start GC with SDML (SDML card must be in slot-A for AR to run I believe / if not it's slot-B)> Run AR1.4.dol > Select Cheats ( fyi, you can also edit cheats in if you want and they will be saved) > Press Start > It will tell you to open GC lid and insert your original disk, do that > Press Start again > DONE! (you can freely move MC around if you wish, it won't crash the game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzKMqujDMtY&list=UUVNhf1fseOSMIu6FmMi8nIA

The method above ^ is simple and only works with legit GC games.
If you wish to know how to add cheats to backups via SWISS let me know.
It's more complicated, but it is possible.
I don't want to fill this whole post with info if you really don't need to know.

if its too much of a pain to answer i fully understand.  THANKS for all the help thus far!

Keep throwing questions at me, I'm fine with it.  haha :D
It's cool to see someone else who wants to learn more about GC hombrew/SDML.
I'm here to teach if I can!

I remember people giving me shit because I asked to much on other sites.
I'm not like that.

You're welcome, it's no problem.

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
First of all THANKS again you are very kindto take the time!   Yes I think GC hombrew/SDML is so great.  I just like using the GC for playing all the other consoles and games etc! 

play gc game backups [of games i own]?
You can say you're a pirate around here, so don't be afraid to say it.

To play GC backups I mean.
GC games range from 50MB-1.35GB

Although it states the following on the codejunkies page;

As far as I know, you can go up to 64GB SD cards.
I tested my SDML with a 8GB SDHC Kingston and it worked.

SD cards are relatively cheap, so if you want my advice simply buy the SDML itself.
Buy a large memory card separately.
You can get a 4-64GB for around $10

Also, I don't think they sell the 1GB version anymore, I saw /SDML only and 2GB/ versions.
I think you purchased the SDML only version for $19.99

Maybe I will try backups one day.  I have to learn to walk first! 

Yes, everything is there. Emulators as well as loaders and some misc stuff.
As mentioned in the pack info, some things were not added as they did not work properly and are not being updated anymore.
Also, watch the video I made on that page for a quick peek into the emulators.

GCOS is used to boot miniDVD backups.
If you ever want to run burned miniDVD's use that.
You may need to adjust your laser pot in order for the GC laser to properly read the burned disks.
Don't worry about it if you only plan to run games via SWISS.

NOTE: Compatibility in GCOS is far better than SWISS
          SWISS is still in beta mode, meaning there are allot of glitches/bugs.
          Swiss is updated/fixed every 1-6months so update when new versions come out.

There are upsides and downsides to both methods, but if a little noise garble doesn't bother you, stick with SWISS
There are some bugs and movie garble but overall game-play is perfect.
Here's a test showing Swiss in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zn-5MgIKOQ&list=UUVNhf1fseOSMIu6FmMi8nIA

Again one day i will get to GC backups. 

GC controller works haha ;p
I mapped the buttons to the controller for emulators, so you don't have to do that.[/quote]

THANKS!

Short version:
Start GC with SDML (SDML card must be in slot-A for AR to run I believe / if not it's slot-B)> Run AR1.4.dol > Select Cheats ( fyi, you can also edit cheats in if you want and they will be saved) > Press Start > It will tell you to open GC lid and insert your original disk, do that > Press Start again > DONE! (you can freely move MC around if you wish, it won't crash the game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzKMqujDMtY&list=UUVNhf1fseOSMIu6FmMi8nIA

The method above ^ is simple and only works with legit GC games.
If you wish to know how to add cheats to backups via SWISS let me know.
It's more complicated, but it is possible.
I don't want to fill this whole post with info if you really don't need to know.

__________________________________________________________________[/quote]

What do you mean legit GC games meaning not emulated?  also is there a virtual game genie for SNES emulator or is there a way to cheat on SNES while emulating it on a GC?

if its too much of a pain to answer i fully understand.  THANKS for all the help thus far!

Keep throwing questions at me, I'm fine with it.  haha :D
It's cool to see someone else who wants to learn more about GC hombrew/SDML.
I'm here to teach if I can!

I remember people giving me shit because I asked to much on other sites.
I'm not like that.

You're welcome, it's no problem.
[/quote]

Seriously THANK you THANK you THANK you!  One I get the SDML I am sure I will have more questions.  I will send you a donation!

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
What do you mean legit GC games meaning not emulated?  also is there a virtual game genie for SNES emulator or is there a way to cheat on SNES while emulating it on a GC?
Yeah, that AR cheat method only works with official Nintendo disks not copies.
You mentioned Mario Kart: Double Dash (game you own = not a backup) <

As for SNES (and other emulators) they all have a cheat system integrated.
I'll boot up my GC a little later to give you more info on how to use it.

Seriously THANK you THANK you THANK you!  One I get the SDML I am sure I will have more questions.  I will send you a donation!
Happy to help :)

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »
my sdml shipped so i will be back with some questions soon i am sure.  thanks!

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:28 PM »
[1] i finally got my sdml but it came with an action replay disc?  not an SDML disc?  it says it will load as sdml as needed but not sure how to make that happen.  its not booting into the pak?  any insight is greatly appreciated.

----I did get it to load. 

[2] what am i too use to load games always use swiss?  for GC backups and emulators / games?  i tried gba through swiss and it doesnt see the games and then gets hung.

[2] i tried a GC backup iso and all i got was a green screen then a black screen :(

[3] when in swiss or emulator game how do you restart to get back to the main loading screen of SDML or swiss or gcos etc etc...  it seems to get hung on things and the only way to restart is to reset the GC

[4] alot of the emulators load but then the games are a no show... ?  then it gets hung when i try to back up :(

thank you
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:08:06 PM by sillyrabbitt123 »

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:14:33 AM »
Will get back to you tomorrow/soon bud, late over here zzzzZZZZzz U_U

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 08:01:06 AM »
fully understand and THANKS! 

A few more issues or need help with...

with snes9xgx how do i cheat and also use game save state features to make a virtual restore point? it gives me an error "sd card not found" and also when i go to the menu to load up the .cht file it doesnt show up when i go to load i know its there since i can see it on the computer but not on the gc using swiss.

THANKS for any help.

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »
[1] i finally got my sdml but it came with an action replay disc?  not an SDML disc?  it says it will load as sdml as needed but not sure how to make that happen.  its not booting into the pak?  any insight is greatly appreciated.
----I did get it to load. 
Yes. Some SDML are shipped with an AR disk instead of one with an SDML logo.
They both work the same.
did you extract the pack?

[2] what am i too use to load games always use swiss?  for GC backups and emulators / games?  i tried gba through swiss and it doesnt see the games and then gets hung.
gba through swiss?
did you read the pack info beforhand?
NOTE: each has a .dol file inside folder click on that

[2] i tried a GC backup iso and all i got was a green screen then a black screen
Was the game in .ISO or .GCM format? Which game?

[3] when in swiss or emulator game how do you restart to get back to the main loading screen of SDML or swiss or gcos etc etc...  it seems to get hung on things and the only way to restart is to reset the GC
Swiss is the only program that is unable to either reboot or reset.
All emulators have a reset/home function - pleas read info in pack 'sheet' on how to do this.

[4] allot of the emulators load but then the games are a no show... ?  then it gets hung when i try to back up
This ^ and probably everything else has something to do with a defective or ill-prepared memory card.

STEP 1 - Make sure your MC is in UNLCOKED position: http://i.imgur.com/FtgqNEF.jpg
STEP 2 - Format the card to FAT32
STEP 3 - Extract all the contents from the pack onto the card

NOTE: Make sure the card is not jammed in.

Boot the SDML and test everything out.

If the issues still persist after doing all that, try a different card to see if it's the culprit.
I had two cards that were slow and one didn't work at all. So test. ^

fully understand and THANKS! 

A few more issues or need help with...

with snes9xgx how do i cheat and also use game save state features to make a virtual restore point? it gives me an error "sd card not found" and also when i go to the menu to load up the .cht file it doesnt show up when i go to load i know its there since i can see it on the computer but not on the gc using swiss.

THANKS for any help.
Read above, get back to me.

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
thank you so much.  i do really appreciate ALL the help!  here are the issues i need help with...

------ i had a mario sunshine and luigis mansion in gcm format and changed the extension to iso but it wont load in iso??? where does the .iso or .gcm file need to be root sd or in swiss folder?  i also tried it on different sd cards.

------really the biggest thing i want is the ability for mario to swim anywhere in super mario world for snes and i see that as an option in the cheats but i cannot get it to work.  its called "waterworld mario"  not sure how to make it work even after i turn it on ????

T H A N K Y O U A G A I N ! ! !
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:48:59 PM by sillyrabbitt123 »

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »

torturelabs i made some changes to the above not sure if you saw them.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  thanks again!

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
Will get back to you tomorrow for sure, was gone for the weekend.
I've gathered the files in order to update the pack and will post it up.
I'll answer your questions then as well.

I leave my computer on most of the time to seed torrents, so even though it states I'm logged in I'm not really home.

Saw you posted on gc-forever as well.

Hehe, you do seem to be a bit paranoid about saying 'i download pirated games'.

sillyrabbitt123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
LOL your funny :)  thank you for the help! seriously you have been so awesome.  i got worried about you when you were gone didnt know if you were coming back!

i posted a few messages the thing that is making me mental is trying to figure out how to get the cheat to make mario swim in super mario world.  i am have been searching for weeks to be able to edit the .cht files not sure if its possible.

again thank you for anything you can do :) 

Tags: