Yeah, it would simplify everything.
Even TLB is having a rough time, I assume, stating the same thing over and over again 'links are down' in pretty much every PS2 game thread.
The assumption being that most of these Bit Loader+ will re-upload, which may not even happen.
Trying out new methods, not necessarily mine, would be beneficial.
You're reading into that way too far and in the wrong direction. A lot has been going on behind the scenes the past few days. All of the DS and PSP games are on the list. All of the DS, PSP, and XBOX games on the list have working links. PS1, PS2, and GCN aren't far behind. Posts you saw from TheLittlestBowl were when a post contained mirrors and at least one set was working. I haven't gone and counted through the logs, but around 5 am EST he had 90+ dead link removals.
It would make it so much easier for uploader if you guys just started from scratch, and I mean literally from nothing.
My suggestion, which can be a little well... absurd.
1. Delete everything
2. Taking the masterlist from Wiki and making threads for each game / all topics made by mods who organize stuff
3. Allow people to upload their links which will then be added to the main topic
4. Possibly add online/offline checks
Maybe some of this can't be done or people don't have the time?
1. You're right, that is absurd. Clean the data out, sure, but the list system is heavily integrated into the site. If we can sort out which links are dead and which are alive it's just a matter of trashing the topics.
2. Having a database to compare titles to would be awesome. It's been on my mind for a while now. Making threads for every game isn't the way to do it though, we can store and access the data much more efficiently than spread across a million threads. Regardless, file that under Ain't nobody got time for that
3. New behind the scenes things make adding entries to the masterlist easier. It will only get even easier from this point on. If we ever get a database setup as you suggest in 2 it would be simple to tie each masterlist entry to the database. Filling the database is the hard pard.
4. Link checks would be nice but you can file coding them under Ain't nobody got time for that
too. There is a report dead links function. I wrote it Friday. It functions. It basically only collects reports right now. The reports are accurate, but there's nothing staff members can do with it. Reporting will go live for all usergroups when there's actually something staff members can do with the reports. No telling when I'll get to coding that.
So as I said, a lot has been going on behind the scenes. I've mostly been coding new features for staff members that should make fixing this place a lot easier. There's still much more I can do, but time is going to be an issue. April is a really busy month for me and it's only going to get worse as weeks go on. But I'm doing what I can to replace staff members' pistols with fully automatics if you catch my drift.