Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: April 26, 2017, 12:32:55 PM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: Gamecube backups  (Read 2906 times)

Celestial

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube backups
« on: April 05, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
Hello, I am new to this site and barely know anything about gaming, computers, etc. I have a gamecube game and I am interested in burning a copy of it for backup purposes. I do not have a modded gamecube or wii. How would I make a backup copy of it so that I can play it on my gamecube, and what does oRAR mean? Also, what are ISOs and ROMs? Thank you for your help!

Urmel64

• View Profile
Re: Gamecube backups
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »
I'll try my very best with answering your questions.

1. for burning i'd suggest alcohol 120%, to recieve a good result but beware i've not burned anything for ages.
and i'm not shure if playing burned discs on an unmodified gamecube is even possible

2. oRARs = unmodified rar-archieves (original RAR) of scenereleases

3. .iso-file = digital copy of a CD/CD-Rom or DVD/DVD-Rom with some informations of the physical characteristics.
for CD/CD-Rom .bin + .cue-files are a better choice

4. rom = digital copy of a gamecardridge

if it doesn't work you still could try the latest revision of dolphin and play the game on your computer
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:40:52 PM by Urmel64 »

Celestial

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »
Thank you for your help. I can burn them onto mini DVD-r just on my laptop and then use it in my gamecube? How does dolphins work and what is it? So basically, ISOs and ROMS are games and if I download it, would that work in my gamecube?

I guess my question is, can I use the downloads on this site for backup, and if so, would I be able to use the oRAR ones for gamecube? I have a couple disc that are quite scratched and I really like them too.

Urmel64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:43:06 PM »
I'm shure you must have modified hardware like a mod-chip or a sd-card-module for your
memorycardslot + startup-disk to run backups on your gamecube.

but dolphin ( a gamecube-emulator for pc ) can load isos like extracted oRARs on your PC.
and with this piece of software you can play your beloved games on your computer.

I guess if you follow the link you'll find something about dolphin.

http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=3091.msg0;boardseen#new

;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:50:13 PM by Urmel64 »

Celestial

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
Thanks a bunch for your help again. I put my gamecube disc into my laptops dvd tray and nothing happened. I don't think my laptop can read it. It's a dell inspiron 1440. Is that normal? I'll look into the dolphin.

Virtus

• Silent Antagonist
  • Rep: 80
  • cout << "Yay";
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »
Thanks a bunch for your help again. I put my gamecube disc into my laptops dvd tray and nothing happened. I don't think my laptop can read it. It's a dell inspiron 1440. Is that normal? I'll look into the dolphin.

Genuine copies of Gamecube and Wii games are created with nonstandard physical data patterns. Only two obscure consumer disc drives can read them. Ergo, your laptop won't be able to read them for copying or playing with Dolphin. To use games with Dolphin, you'll simply have to download the ISOs or use a modded Wii to directly copy the discs yourself if need be.

To answer your question about Dolphin, it is an emulation software that allows someone with a reasonably powerful computer to play Wii and Gamecube games on their PC. You don't have to worry about Dolphin at all if you merely wish to play copies of games on your Gamecube or Wii.

Burning mini DVD-Rs for your Gamecube has a number of requirements. First and foremost, your Gamecube will have to be modded and it's laser will have to be manually recalibrated to work correctly with your burned discs. However, the easier option is to merely mod a Wii instead, you'll be able to play both Wii and Gamecube games with it and you won't need to tinker with the disc drive in it.

In either case, if you wish to play backups of games on your Gamecube or Wii, they will have to be modified to work with your backups. I'm not sure what your preferred option is here, either using Dolphin or a modded console.

I guess my question is, can I use the downloads on this site for backup, and if so, would I be able to use the oRAR ones for gamecube? I have a couple disc that are quite scratched and I really like them too.

Yes, the downloads on this site can be used for backups. The oRARs are the highest quality backups you can find, so yes, you can use them with a modded Gamecube or modded Wii. But again, they'll have to be modified to work.

To burn a disc, I actually recommend ImgBurn instead of Alcohol 120% if you decide to go the route of burning discs for a modded console. ImgBurn is free and works flawlessly with burning ISOs.

Let me know what you plan to do then I'll be able to point you towards the relevant tutorials you'll need to get started.

Celestial

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »
Thank you for your help. If I modd my gamecube, will I be able to play my original gamecube disc on it afterwards? Can you teach me how to use dolphin for the time being? I will try it out and if I prefer my gamecube, will you teach me how to make backup copy's so that I can play it on my gamecube? I've been reading a bit about burning disc, are TDK, Verbatim, RiData mini dvd-r reliable?

torturelabs

• Rep: 72
  • I'm into autoerotic-asphyxiation, how about you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Hello, I am new to this site and barely know anything about gaming, computers, etc. I have a gamecube game, Mario Party 4, and I am interested in burning a copy of it for backup purposes.
Hello, Celestial. It's good to learn about modding/backups and other ways to get the more out of your buck.
Even more so, about computers as it really helps to know a couple things in this highly technical phase we're all going through.

Also, it's fine if your just doing it to pirate, nobody gives a shit here.

I do not have a modded gamecube or wii
If you want to copy (or even play backups) games yourself 'you will actually need' a modded GC/Wii, there really isn't another way.
Simplest way would be to buy an SD MediaLauncher, if you ever get one, I will post a tutorial on the subject needed.

PROS: You can also play; NES, SNES, GBA, GENESIS games, add cheats to legit GC copies or non, backup saves, load backups and more, from that little device.

How would I make a backup copy of it so that I can play it on my gamecube
As I stated before, please buy the card, it's worth the money.
There's no point in posting a tutorial if you don't have the necessary things on hand.

and what does oRAR mean?
You'll notice some games posted here have an '[oRARs]' tag.
This is a copy dumped by a 'scene group' - a collection of people who copy/crack; games, software, etc.

NOTE:
The_Legend_of_Zelda_The_Wind_Waker_USA_NGC-XWaR
Star_Fox_Assault_USA_NGC-NOMIS
 Kirby_Air_Ride_PROPER_USA_NGC-STINKYCUBE         

Scene groups have strict guidelines to copy games, but you'll generally get the same results if you do it yourself.
In that regard, you'll also see some not labeled in such a way, which will also work just fine.

Also, what are ISOs and ROMs?
Backups of games are referred to as ISOs/ROMs - to be more precise; disk images, rips, dumps or copies.
Just easier ways to say 'a copy of this game'.

You'll generally see these two words thrown around on 'to download' sites.

Thank you for your help!
Hope it helps,

labs

Thank you for your help. If I modd my gamecube, will I be able to play my original gamecube disc on it afterwards? Can you teach me how to use dolphin for the time being? I will try it out and if I prefer my gamecube, will you teach me how to make backup copy's so that I can play it on my gamecube? I've been reading a bit about burning disc, are TDK, Verbatim, RiData mini dvd-r reliable?
Yes, if you modd your gamecube you can play backups as well as legit disks.

Yes, those brands are reliable - although you can also play from an SD card if you want with an SDML ^

To the Dolphin question, you can try - what games you can run on your pc, depends on your computer specs.

1. Download Dolphin: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn
2. Extract the folder using WinRAR - right click on the file and click 'extract here'.
    It should give you a folder named: Dolphin-x64 or similar.
3. Download the game you wish to play - I suggest you download something small to test out like Wario World, Ikagura or Harvest Moon.
4. Make sure you have extracted the .ISO - and put it in the folder.
5. Start the Dolphin emulator and find the game.

WinRAR DOWNLOAD

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:39:45 AM by torturelabs »

Battlefighter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »
What can I do to get my backups to work? I've gone through 2 different brands and all I get is loading and crashing. If I'm lucky I it will load in to the menu and crash. Also, how does Swiss work? I'm new to the Gamecube scene and I don't quiet understand Swiss with the SD card. the Gamecube POT has been tweaked to ~200Ω and I'm getting nothing.

Gamecube DOL-001 Purple modded with an XenoGC clone

torturelabs

• Rep: 72
  • I'm into autoerotic-asphyxiation, how about you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »
well, you have a modchip so don't worry about swiss or sd cards.

are the game ISO's you're burning 1.35 in size?

are you burning at the slowest speed?

can you take images/video of the modchip going through cycles to verify if it installed correctly?

Tags: