Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: August 22, 2017, 01:39:07 PM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: Is my computer too slow?  (Read 855 times)

severed

• Rep: 2
  • WarCraft.III.Addict Nothing.will.ever.top.N64
    • View Profile
Is my computer too slow?
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:15:05 AM »
I recently bought a new laptop (its nothing special) but I am wondering if 20-25 FPS is the best I can expect to get?  I read that AMD isnt great for dolphin but this wasnt meant as a gaming laptop just would be nice to have my 2 favorites... maybe next year ill get a new desktop

My Specs: AMD 2.90 GHz processor - RadeonHD 8450G - 8GB Ram  Win7

Im mainly using the latest dev build of dolphin i think 4.0-4877 and I have also tested 4.0.2 which I found to not be as good, but what about 3.5 I read that might be better?? Also I use OpenGL because Direct3D seems choppy... I am capable of running Wind Waker at about 25-30 FPS depending on where i set the internal resolution... but Resident Evil 1 (REmake) is barely giving me 20 FPS with all settings turned down to minimal, does this game require more than I have??  any tips to improve my FPS?

thanks  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:28:08 AM by severed »
Nintendo DSiXL + SupercardDS2 = Sickest handheld Ever!!  Love the classic Emulation (GBA, SEGA, ScummVM & way more)
Thanks to CodeJunkies for my Gamecube  SDMediaLauncher  8) ...Its been a long wait but I want more Cube64

Virtus

• Silent Antagonist
  • Rep: 80
  • cout << "Yay";
    • View Profile
Re: Is my computer too slow?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »
Hey man, haven't seen you around in a while.

I can't really lend a hand with Dolphin performance tips, but I did look at the GPU that you have. It has no dedicated vRAM [shares memory with the CPU] and only has 192 shader cores at a clock rate range of 533 - 720 MHz, which is pretty much your bottleneck right there. AMD GPUs are indeed poor for Dolphin, which doesn't help your case. (Frankly, AMD CPUs and GPUs as a whole are terrible; they're cheap for a reason)

Maybe someone here can give tips for improving the performance, but given your hardware you'll need a better GPU [preferably Nvidia] to get more reasonable framerates out of Dolphin.

severed

• Rep: 2
  • WarCraft.III.Addict Nothing.will.ever.top.N64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:45:19 AM »
wooow i was remembered?? :) yea I love this place, wish I had more to offer but I just show up when I need stuff :( lol

i finally came across dolphins forum, I havent messed with it much before but they really seem to have improved drastically, I was like wtf have I been? lol... so I actually returned my new laptop and will be getting a different one to play dolphin better!!  ;)  I was obsessed with xbox360 for awhile but idk, I think Im sick of consoles now lol... the games I want right now are Zelda (on 3DS) mario on wiiU and arkham knight but I cant afford any new consoles so I guess ill get a new PC to play Arkham knight and have a portable wii!!

hey do people still play smash bros online? i never tried it online but its been so long id really like to find people to play against
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:22:17 AM by severed »
Nintendo DSiXL + SupercardDS2 = Sickest handheld Ever!!  Love the classic Emulation (GBA, SEGA, ScummVM & way more)
Thanks to CodeJunkies for my Gamecube  SDMediaLauncher  8) ...Its been a long wait but I want more Cube64

Virtus

• Silent Antagonist
  • Rep: 80
  • cout << "Yay";
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:15:18 AM »
Of course I'd remember you, I kept a keen eye on the community when things were fun back in the day. =D You may remember me better as WiiGamin, if anything.

Smash Bros. for Wii won't have online anymore now that WiiConnect24 and the old online networks are permanently offline as of spring 2014. Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U however are bustling with online activity and the servers perform well, it's great. I have a lot of fun with it. =)

As for setting up online Dolphin... I don't know.

Tags: