Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: April 29, 2017, 12:31:44 AM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: Official GameCube controller adapter for Wii U  (Read 2861 times)

cube

• Rep: 81
  • The Cubinator
    • View Profile
Official GameCube controller adapter for Wii U
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
I am shocked the GCN lives on. Best controller ever in my opinion. Makes you wonder, will the next system after Wii U be GameCube 2?

I really hope it's compatible with Wavebirds. It's a standard USB adapter, so people should be able to make drivers for it and finally I can use my Wavebirds on my PC.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-made-a-gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u-1583342868

WingsOfVanity

• Rep: 0
  • Loner.
    • View Profile
Re: Official GameCube controller adapter for Wii U
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:53:28 AM »
I'm excited that they're breathing life back into the gamecube controller. Although I don't have a Wii U at the moment, I'll probably buy a controller or two just in case my current gamecube controllers break.

DemonFiren

• Rep: 9
  • FARA ETERNAL! Also, brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
I'm almost certain that Star Fox on a GameCube controller will be more fun than Star Fox on that pad thingy.
I can see some issues with that particular game in its current state, though.

torturelabs

• Rep: 72
  • I'm into autoerotic-asphyxiation, how about you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
I don't like this. Instead of making new better games, they milk older ideas.
It's like Funimation on DragonballZ DVD releases...
I swear to Din, if they release another New Super Mario Bros. I will find Miyamoto and choke him with a Pikmin plush.

Edit:
.... *sigh*

http://newsupermariobrosu.nintendo.com/

XX-STR8

• Rep: 26
  • I will always fight for what I believe, even if it's against an army.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
I swear to Din, if they release another New Super Mario Bros. I will find Miyamoto and choke him with a Pikmin plush.

Edit:
.... *sigh*

I don't really see how Nintendo is "milking" their older ideas. They're making new games based off of old ideas at the core, that's how franchise work. If you wanna talk about milking then look at Call of Duty, Nintendo actually throws quite a few new ideas into their new games. Nintendo is making this adapter because many people wanted a GameCube controller for playing Super Smash Bros, it was a demand that they can easily capitalize on and it's something that, as I said, people want. Nintendo is listening to their fanbase. You can't honestly say that Super Mario 64 is just like Super Mario Galaxy. Granted, they have similar ideas, but that's how franchises work. You don't see games like Battlefield being turned into RPGs.
Nintendo is losing money, they're doing anything they can to turn a profit and they're listening to their fans (something many companies should do). I see this adapter as being a positive thing for Nintendo, the GameCube has a huge cult following and people want more GameCube like ideas from Nintendo. The GameCube controller is a great controller. Nintendo can even port GameCubde games to the Wii U and throw in an update so the Wii U plays GameCube games, you can already do that if you mod Wiimode or whatever it's called, more functionality is always a plus.  Hell, PDP is actually putting GameCube like controllers into production that attach to the bottom of the Wiimote. The problem is, PDP makes really shit products and I think Nintendo is expecting those things to suck. PDP makes all those crappy GameStop brand controllers.
http://kotaku.com/the-new-wii-u-gamecube-controllers-are-super-hot-1588991448

Talesfanthedude

• Rep: 5
  • Portable Gamecube is DA best ever :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:33:18 AM »
this is actually good for the GCN controller as it get's more attention now, and if the newergen of people learn about the gcn controller with using it on the wii U, then this may lead them to wonder about the gamecube and try it out, for those who haven't experienced a GC.

i hope GC Wavebird is useable on wii U?

WingsOfVanity

• Loner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »

Edit:
.... *sigh*

I don't really see how Nintendo is "milking" their older ideas. They're making new games based off of old ideas at the core, that's how franchise work. If you wanna talk about milking then look at Call of Duty, Nintendo actually throws quite a few new ideas into their new games. Nintendo is making this adapter because many people wanted a GameCube controller for playing Super Smash Bros, it was a demand that they can easily capitalize on and it's something that, as I said, people want. Nintendo is listening to their fanbase. You can't honestly say that Super Mario 64 is just like Super Mario Galaxy. Granted, they have similar ideas, but that's how franchises work. You don't see games like Battlefield being turned into RPGs.
Nintendo is losing money, they're doing anything they can to turn a profit and they're listening to their fans (something many companies should do). I see this adapter as being a positive thing for Nintendo, the GameCube has a huge cult following and people want more GameCube like ideas from Nintendo. The GameCube controller is a great controller. Nintendo can even port GameCubde games to the Wii U and throw in an update so the Wii U plays GameCube games, you can already do that if you mod Wiimode or whatever it's called, more functionality is always a plus.  Hell, PDP is actually putting GameCube like controllers into production that attach to the bottom of the Wiimote. The problem is, PDP makes really shit products and I think Nintendo is expecting those things to suck. PDP makes all those crappy GameStop brand controllers.
http://kotaku.com/the-new-wii-u-gamecube-controllers-are-super-hot-1588991448

What do you mean they're not milking their Mario franchises, to say they're not would be an understatement. I love mario games--they're fun--and even better when you're with a group of friends, but saying they're not like CoD is wrong. Its still the same game Mario has to go save the princess.... yyyaaayyy.... (that was half sincere and sarcasm because I still like playing Nintendo games lol)

Not to mention part of what frustrates people about the Wii U is that there are no original IPs. Yes I saw E3 and they had the squid-one and xenoblade and more Nintendo Universe spinoffs, but when you look at, say, the ps3... its riddled with exclusives.

As for listening to their fanbase that really depends on who you asked. They didn't release earthbound until last year, although the main reason for that involved copyright issues, they decided to release it on the Wii U instead of the 3DS. Which makes some kind of sense in a marketing standpoint, as they needed to sell more Wii Us, but consumer-wise that game would have been better suited for the 3DS. Also while I'm on the subject of buying things from Nintendo's eShop, their system is so backwards. When you buy digital games from Xbox, Steam or PSN they link it to your account which is the logical thing to do in case something happens to your console. Nintendo on the other hand has it linked to your system instead. Was your 3DS lost or stolen? oh well, I guess you're going to have to rebuy (is that a word lol) every single game again. Finally although I'm not a Let's Player they're really messing with that community on youtube by taking all the revenue from their channels, which was later retracted and said that they will split the revenue. If you agree or disagree with it, it doesn't matter Nintendo is really shooting themselves in the foot with that one. Whether you like it or on Let's Players on Youtube carry a lot of weight and to be as brazen as to shortchange the LPers who "promoted" the game is just wrong. That's a hole other tangent though ahaha.

I agree with your second paragraph though, the gamecube controller is great! lol

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
I'll just say I don't like the idea of GC games on a Wii/Wii U that's all.
I suppose, my view from before still stands regardless... hmmn...

It's strange, but even though Sony & Microsoft (Nintendo's top competitors) have been releasing new original games;
It's almost as if Nintendo has this, 'fuck you, we've been doing this for a long time, we got it' attitude.
Releasing the same thing over and over with slight alterations.
Hey look, Mario has a tail now. Hey, a NEW Zelda which is pretty much the same with a different mood palette.
To say these games are bad would be a lie. I just believe they could use more original material/content.
Like WingsOfVanity, I have a soft-spot for Nintendo which stems from the notable IPs (Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon etc.)
I think Nintendo feels way too comfortable in their IPs ability to make sales and make most of us happy.

Suppose that's why I love Super Mario Sunshine so damn much, it's more original than any of the recent crap. I digress...

The official GC controller is awesome, I won't negate that.
It's comfortable in every way possible, it's perfect!
Although I could see the use in the Smash series, Brawl wasn't that great to being with.
Project M, I guess you could say fixed issues that kept many fans thinking 'fuck. this. floating. crap.' and other aspects of the game.
So the 'perfect controller' was (unfortunately) utterly useless in that regard.
Will the new smash suck just as much as Brawl even with this new peripheral, very likely.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:50:52 AM by torturelabs »

DemonFiren

• Rep: 9
  • FARA ETERNAL! Also, brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 05:48:51 AM »
As far as I'm concerned...I'm kind of wary about them moving on to unknown concepts.

Then again, I'm from the Star Fox corner.
Adventures was "new" in the sense that it never was intended to be a Star Fox game in the first place (and it ripped off Zelda, anyway.)
Assault was meh (not good, not bad) and the third-person sections evenly divided the fanbase.
Command was a train wreck and I'm not talking about it.

So I can't necessarily say I agree, but my perspective is limited.

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
Like always I deviated from topic, haha
My first post... I took it as a 'personal' attack for some odd reason.

I am shocked the GCN lives on. Best controller ever in my opinion. Makes you wonder, will the next system after Wii U be GameCube 2?
After I read this... I was like, screw this they're trying to bring back old school in a crappy Wii+ library and "virtual GC downloads, tha fuck!"
Guess my second paragraph in my second post sums up my hatred for this new peripheral.
Anything beyond that is me, obviously being a pretentious dick-wheel.

Talesfanthedude

• Rep: 5
  • Portable Gamecube is DA best ever :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Like always I deviated from topic, haha

obviously being a pretentious dick-wheel.

"pretentious dick-wheel" hahahahahhahaha  :))

WingsOfVanity

• Loner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:21:07 AM »
This thread sure brought some life into the forum, don't you think?
We need more controversial topics!!! haha
Anyways I do agree that Nintendo needs more original IP, something that isn't part of the Nintendo-verse, just something new and refreshing.

disclaimer: Even though I have annoyances with Nintendo I'll probably have a Wii U by the end of the year, ahahaha.

Tags: