Please login or register.
Username:
Password:

HOME
FORUM
DOWNLOADS
CHAT

onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />
   Current Time: September 20, 2017, 01:24:48 PM   News: new download sections: DS and PSP!
onfocus="this.value = '';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search...';" />       

Author Topic: bitGAMER BitTorrent Tracker Quits the Game, Shuts Down  (Read 4705 times)

chatterx

• It isnt right if it isnt modded
  • Rep: 69
    • View Profile
bitGAMER BitTorrent Tracker Quits the Game, Shuts Down
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
Now this totally blows. Good thing we all have backups right ;)

Quote from: Torrentfreak.com
The popular private BitTorrent tracker bitGAMER has shut down its operation. The site’s owners mention that the legal climate has changed over the years and say that they are ready to move on with their lives. The founders have considered handing over ownership but chose not to share any sensitive user data with a third-party. The site’s 65,000 members, meanwhile, are looking for alternatives to resume their torrenting habits.

Founded in 2006, bitGAMER has become one of the larger private BitTorrent trackers dedicated to sharing games of all sorts.

What started out as a sister site of the Underground Gamer tracker turned into a serious player on its own, amassing 65,000 members over the years.

However, at the start of 2013 the site’s founders have decided to quit the game for good, leaving a large and active community behind. In a statement posted on the site’s homepage they explain that they are ready to move on to new things.

“We’ve reached the end of the ride. bitGAMER has been an amazingly fun ride, but all rides must come to an end,” the notice starts, also mentioning the “legal climate” as a factor to pull the plug.

“You all know that the legal climate has changed over the years, so we won’t bore you with that stuff. More importantly, the founders are simply ready to move on with their lives.”

The news caused some confusion among the site’s members as it came without prior warning. This also led to the inevitable rumors that there is something more to the shutdown, but the site’s founders explained in a follow up statement that this is certainly not the case.

“We didn’t give advance warning due to the nature of the site. We don’t want to give any advance notice in case someone was ready to kick someone’s door in at the last minute,” read a message posted in the IRC channel.

The founders further say that those who donated to the site in the last month can ask for a refund.

In an attempt to save the community the bitGAMER staff explored whether it was possible to hand over the reigns to new owners. However, they decided not to do so as that would require sharing details on all its members with a relatively unknown third-party.

“We tried to find new, trusted owners to carry the torch, but after years of attempts fell though, we had no choice but to close down the site. We wouldn’t be willing to transfer sensitive database data to a third-party that we’re not well acquainted with,” the founders explain.

But that doesn’t mean the tens of thousands of members will stop sharing.

There are already suggestions of re-spawning the bitGAMER community at new BitTorrent tracker, as is often the case when a large site dies. Other members will simply resume their game-sharing habits elsewhere. Invites for other private BitTorrent trackers are being shared by the dozens behind the scenes.

But for bitGAMER it’s Game Over.

RedPhoenix

• Rep: 21
  • Informático - Gamer
    • View Profile
Re: bitGAMER BitTorrent Tracker Quits the Game, Shuts Down
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
Another big titan has fallen :(

PSX SCPH-7501 PSone SCPH-101 | PS2 SCPH-39001 XBOX C01713 Dreamcast HKT-3020 GameCube DOL-101 GB DMG-01 GBA AGB-001 | PS3 CECHK11 XBOX 360 S 1439 PSP 3001 NDS NTR-001

Nerazim

• Rep: 77
  • I bask in the twilight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
Sad story. Fortunately ug is still up for now..

Virtus

• Silent Antagonist
  • Rep: 80
  • cout << "Yay";
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
Damn, that's painful to hear. BitGamer was the first private tracker I was invited to and it quickly became my favorite source for games and still held that title today. It was a great site and it will be missed.

torturelabs

• Rep: 72
  • I'm into autoerotic-asphyxiation, how about you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »
*sigh*
This is too bad, great site to find scene releases :I
Sadly, I deleted all my downloads due to space...
I thought I would just re-download later since I was VIP... damn.
Hopefully UG stays up though/

Edit:
Just a thought, but we could make this site private.
We could organize complete lists of things and share via torrents.
I could greatly contribute to that, and I'm sure our more serious members would to.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:58:55 PM by torturelabs »

chatterx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
I wonder if this has anything to do with the decision. Any of you bitgamers will instantly recognize one of the pictures

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/10/12/halo-4-leaked-images-spotted-on-reddit-while-microsoft-investigates/

Edit:
I could greatly contribute to that, and I'm sure our more serious members would to.

The problem with this idea is there would not be enough seeders thus resulting in some pretty slow download speeds. Not a stupid idea just not enough userbase to warrant this.

Undead Testes

• Rep: 10
  • Potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »
... i never even heard of this bitgamer.  i was always able to find stuff on piratebay o.o
make sure to check out my playthroughs and Let's Play's
http://adf.ly/PHFUW   (youtube)
and
http://adf.ly/PGeuI    (twitch.tv)

Dolphin official performance guide : http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/performance-guide/

make sure to let me know if any of my links break.

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
... i never even heard of this bitgamer.  i was always able to find stuff on piratebay o.o
They mainly had scene releases some of which are not found on regular torrents, or have been tampered with.
They also had complete scene packs, which from previous experience were impossible to find in regular trackers.
Organized and trustworthy would be the way to describe the site.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the decision. Any of you bitgamers will instantly recognize one of the pictures

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/10/12/halo-4-leaked-images-spotted-on-reddit-while-microsoft-investigates/

Edit:

The problem with this idea is there would not be enough seeders thus resulting in some pretty slow download speeds. Not a stupid idea just not enough userbase to warrant this.
Making it the new home of BitGamer would be a good idea.
(this is was I was thinking in previous post, I guess I forgot to add it)
We would get plenty of people that way.
I know were most of them migrated (GG) and not many are finding the transition easy.
Me being one of them, 'point system' ~bleh~
Would it be expensive to run the site like theirs you think?
I mean it's basically traffic host + torrent plug-in right?

I think the Admins here are great.
Putting in a good word for them to be able to gain access to their use database wouldn't hurt either.
I know they stated they were wary of doing this with individuals they weren't acquainted with, maybe we could change their minds.
That is, if the Admins here are up for it.

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:26:54 PM by torturelabs »

Undead Testes

• Potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:52:06 PM »
I know they stated they were wary of doing this with individuals they weren't acquainted with, maybe we could change their minds.

id throw a good review in if i could.  although my word probably wouldnt carry any weight.
and

Dolphin official performance guide : http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/performance-guide/

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »

id throw a good review in if i could.  although my word probably wouldnt carry any weight.
Same here, but I've actually done it before elsewhere and something good came of it. hope/

chatterx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
You guys can try all you want but you will be wasting your time. Me... preferably I would rather them let it die than restart it back up again.

I loved bitgamer. It was THE place I went to get my gaming fix. I hated to see it go and I hated to see my 2.5 TB upload status go. I made some friends on the site and I wished they would have given us notice cause a few of them I have no way to contact but from the site. Also a few 2 year old gamecube torrents I uploaded are now dead. But I can understand why they did it the way they did. While they say that they wanted to move onto other things. I think the fact that microsoft perhaps knew where the halo 4 torrent was being downloaded from was the thing that pushed them over the edge on their decision. That screenshot of the halo 4 torrent is from bitgamer. Im absolutely 100% sure on it.... why?? because I actually downloaded that torrent lol.

Now here is why I am glad that it ended the way it did. While I loved bitgamer and everything about it there was one feature of the site that made me worry if it ever was to get busted. The site kept track of everything you downloaded. You could go and see what you downloaded by going to the details section. This was a bit useful because when you have downloaded over 500 things from there you tend to lose track of what you have obtained. Instead of going through 8 different HDDs to see if I have a torrent I could go there and see. Handy but dangerous. If the site were ever seized all they had to do was go to the user database and pull that info up on EVERYONE... thats some scary shit right there... Imagine, a complete record of everyone's downloads, user ids and passwords, who uploaded what and how much they shared.

If they felt they were under the spotlight then I am perfectly fine with their decision.

Undead Testes

• Potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
after reading what Chatterx has said. it does makes sense about why they closed the way they did.

if they were indeed afraid or worried about being seized, the user database does worry me cause id be sad to find out some of our fellow members have been put in jail :-p

but im wishing you all good luck with finding another source for your fix.
and

torturelabs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
You guys can try all you want but you will be wasting your time. Me... preferably I would rather them let it die than restart it back up again.

I loved bitgamer. It was THE place I went to get my gaming fix. I hated to see it go and I hated to see my 2.5 TB upload status go. I made some friends on the site and I wished they would have given us notice cause a few of them I have no way to contact but from the site. Also a few 2 year old gamecube torrents I uploaded are now dead. But I can understand why they did it the way they did. While they say that they wanted to move onto other things. I think the fact that microsoft perhaps knew where the halo 4 torrent was being downloaded from was the thing that pushed them over the edge on their decision. That screenshot of the halo 4 torrent is from bitgamer. Im absolutely 100% sure on it.... why?? because I actually downloaded that torrent lol.

Now here is why I am glad that it ended the way it did. While I loved bitgamer and everything about it there was one feature of the site that made me worry if it ever was to get busted. The site kept track of everything you downloaded. You could go and see what you downloaded by going to the details section. This was a bit useful because when you have downloaded over 500 things from there you tend to lose track of what you have obtained. Instead of going through 8 different HDDs to see if I have a torrent I could go there and see. Handy but dangerous. If the site were ever seized all they had to do was go to the user database and pull that info up on EVERYONE... thats some scary shit right there... Imagine, a complete record of everyone's downloads, user ids and passwords, who uploaded what and how much they shared.

If they felt they were under the spotlight then I am perfectly fine with their decision.
Guess you're right.

Hmmm, where to go now...
I have a couple of other trackers, I guess IPT would be the one to go to now.
Their VIP is monthly though, which kinda sucks.
My upload speed is horrible in private trackers for some reason, that's why I always look for an immunity option.
That way I upload what I can and contribute in other ways.

TheRainbowFlamingDragon

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
This is the actually the first time I've ever heard of bitGamer. I usually downloaded the torrents for my games from thepiratebay  or torrentfreak. Than again I don't really use torrent to download games that much (I mostly use it download Anime).

It's sad to see a site that many people used to get their gaming fix go down. I felt the same way when megaupload went down, and had to find an alternative.

And it really sucks for the people who had V.I.P membership! :/

TASE

• Mac Expert
  • Rep: 22
  • Vacuum boy to the rescue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
To be honest, I'm neither sad nor happy that it was shut down.

I had an account and I used it twice. I've got other torrent/direct download sites for games like those (most I can't speak about publicly about)

However, I know that uploading games to this site just got a little bit harder but when one site goes down, another pops up...

^ Click the gif to PM me ^

If you need a password for my archive it will be powermacg4

Tags: